Monday, November 15, 2010

On sacred soil

On Sacred soil
This was a very emotional day for me.  We have been in the air for hours...waiting for this very moment...to step on the ground of Iraq.
This is sacred soil to me....as soon as I stepped of the plane onto Iraq ground I could feel Matthew with me...at that moment I knew that I was doing the right thing by going on this trip....

If you would like to read the news paper article about this....look at Salt Lake Tribune Matthew D. Laplante  October 3, 2010
look for Colleen Parkin or Gold Star Mothers in Iraq.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about you today and remembered this Rudyard Kipling poem. It reminds me of of you and your heroic son, especially the last two stanzas. He wrote it after he learned about his son's death fighting in the trenches of WWI.

    “Have you news of my boy Jack?”
    Not this tide.
    “When d’you think that he’ll come back?”
    Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

    “Has any one else had word of him?”
    Not this tide.
    For what is sunk will hardly swim,
    Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

    “Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?”
    None this tide,
    Nor any tide,
    Except he did not shame his kind —
    Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

    Then hold your head up all the more,
    This tide,
    And every tide;
    Because he was the son you bore,
    And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!

    ReplyDelete